Separated/Divorced Parents: 3 Crucial Tips for Getting Along & Resources for Co-Parents
You may be separated or divorced but if you're parents, you will be in each other's lives forever. Here is a list tips and tricks that will help you get along while co-parenting: 1. Avoid Communication that Escalates Conflict: Interrupting and talking over someone, using raised voices/ aggressive tones and bringing up past grievances will only escalate conflict and lead to unproductive conversations and hurt feelings. If one party is constantly engaging in this type of communication, you may want to consider communicating only through writing such as in email or the Our Family Wizard App - generally, people will be less escalatory in writing!
2. Respect Each Other's Time: Be punctual and respectful of each other's time when it comes to visitation schedules, drop-offs, and pick-ups. Being reliable and consistent will help build trust and maintain a positive co-parenting relationship. 3. Encourage Your Child's Relationship with the Other Parent: Showing your co-parent that you care about their relationship with the children will increase trust between the two of you and help create a foundation for respect. Books & Articles on Co-Parenting
1. "The Co-Parenting Handbook: Raising Well-Adjusted and Resilient Kids from Little Ones to Young Adults through Divorce or Separation" by Karen Bonnell and Kristin Little
2. "Parenting Apart: How Separated and Divorced Parents Can Raise Happy and Secure Kids" by Christina McGhee 3. "Co-Parenting 101: Helping Your Kids Thrive in Two Households after Divorce" by Deesha Philyaw and Michael D. Thomas
4. "The Smart Stepfamily: Seven Steps to a Healthy Family" by Ron L. Deal
5. "Co-Parenting Works!: Helping Your Children Thrive After Divorce" by Tammy Daughtry 6. "The Co-Parenting Survival Guide: Letting Go of Conflict after a Difficult Divorce" by Elizabeth Thayer and Jeffrey Zimmerman In addition to these books, there are several helpful articles available online. Some recommended articles include: - "Co-Parenting Tips for Divorced Parents: Making Joint Custody Work after a Divorce or Separation" by HelpGuide.org - "10 Tips for Co-Parenting with a Difficult Ex" by Verywell Family - "Co-Parenting: Getting the Support You Need" by Mayo Clinic - "Co-Parenting: Tips for Parents on Sharing the Load" by American Academy of Pediatrics - "10 Co-Parenting Ground Rules" by Parents.com.